CHARLOTTE, N.C. (July 14, 2020) — The Jimmie Johnson Foundation announced today the five recipients of this year’s $25,000 Blue Bunny Helmet of Hope grants. The Blue Bunny Helmet of Hope program invites fans and consumers across the country to nominate not-for-profit (501c3) organizations that support K-12 public education for the opportunity to receive one of five (5) available grant packages. This year, the nomination process was expanded to include non-profits that have been directly impacted by the Covid-19 public health crisis.
The five grant recipients are:
- DMF Youth, Inc. (New York, N.Y.) teaches underserved youth the life skills needed to thrive in and out of the classroom by providing free afterschool and summer programming to youth attending Title 1 Schools and youth living in homeless shelters.
- Foodbank of Siouxland (Sioux City, Iowa) ensures that food is easily accessible to students and families in need through their BackPack Program: Food for Kids, and their Mobile School Pantry: Food for Families.
- National Mental Health Association of Georgia (Atlanta, Ga.) Kids on the Block (KOTB) is an educational puppetry program that uses life-sized, multicultural puppets to promote mental wellness for children.
- TABLE, Inc. (Carrboro, N.C.) is committed to delivering healthy food and providing nutrition education to food-insecure children living in Orange County, N.C.
- Working in the Schools (Chicago, Ill.) sets students on a trajectory for long-term success by building critical literacy skills and developing positive self-identity through volunteer-powered mentorship programs and teacher-led literacy professional development.
The final five were selected via a week-long public vote. More than 223,000 votes were cast for the 10 semi-finalists during the voting period.
“There are so many deserving organizations and now more than ever, they need our help,” said Johnson, who is in his final year of full-time NASCAR competition. “These grants are one small way we can help make a difference. Chani (wife) and I appreciate the partnership that we have had with Blue Bunny over the years. This program has not only brought some needed funding to various organizations but a little recognition as well, with their names on my helmet. It’s also brought a little fun, because, let’s be honest, who doesn’t love an ice cream party?”
In addition to a $25,000 grant, each of the five recipient organizations will receive a Blue Bunny Ice Cream party and special recognition on Johnson’s race helmet during a NASCAR Cup Series race this season. To date, the Blue Bunny Helmet of Hope program has contributed more than $1.3 million to 121 different charities.
“Congratulations to the recipients of the 2020 Blue Bunny Helmet of Hope grants,” stated Mike Wells, President & CEO, Wells Enterprises, Inc., maker of Blue Bunny ice cream. “The rallying effort by the fans of all 10 semi-finalists is always impressive and highlights the passion around the purpose and mission of each organization in their communities. It is an honor to help each of them further the important work they are committed to.”
Thanks to the generosity of Wells Enterprises, Inc., the remaining five semi-finalist charities will each receive a $1,000 grant and a Blue Bunny Ice Cream party.
For additional information about the Blue Bunny Helmet of Hope program, visit helmetofhope.org.
About the Jimmie Johnson Foundation
Chandra and Jimmie Johnson launched the Jimmie Johnson Foundation in February 2006. Johnson, the seven-time NASCAR Cup champion, drives the No. 48 Ally Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 in NASCAR’s top series. The mission of the Foundation is to assist children, families, and communities in need throughout the United States. The Foundation has committed more than $12 million to various charities. The Foundation currently focuses on K-12 public education. For additional information on the Jimmie Johnson Foundation, please visit jimmiejohnsonfoundation.org.
About Blue Bunny®
For more than 80 years, Blue Bunny has been bringing delicious ice cream made with fun, fresh ingredients to families and freezers across the country—adding a little playfulness to any occasion. Blue Bunny is available in grocery and convenience stores nationwide. For more information, visit BlueBunny.com.